What Are the Top Reasons People Divorce?
Divorce can occur suddenly or over the course of many years. Some couples decide that it is time to call it quits after many years. Other couples part ways after a few short weeks.
Every divorce case is different. The following list explains some of the most common reasons that people divorce:
- Infidelity. Some couples manage to get over an instance of infidelity. Others never recover from the break in trust.
- Communication breakdown. Many marriages end simply because of poor communication.
- Financial issues. Unfortunately, for spouses throughout the country, love is not enough. Numerous marriages end because of financial difficulty.
- Sexual incompatibility. A number of marriages end because a couple does not discover until after they are married that they are sexually incompatible.
- Cultural or religious differences. Such differences can eat away at a marriage until a couple ultimately needs to separate.
- Lack of children. Some people get married and expect to immediately have children. However, when conception is not possible for whatever reason, they file divorce papers.
- Substance abuse. When one spouse abuses drugs or alcohol, the chances of divorce increase substantially.
- Difference in priorities. In some cases, a marriage may end because one spouse has certain priorities and expectations in life that conflict with those of the other spouse.
Couples get divorced for a wide variety of reasons. Sometimes even the couple does not know exactly why their marriage did not work out. But whatever the reason for your divorce, you can benefit from experienced, aggressive legal representation.