Basketball Player Nets Lawsuit on Child Education Expenses

Are divorced parents required to pay educational expenses for their children?  A former New York Knicks player is about to find out.

In April, the ex-wife of Metta World Peace, the basketball player formerly known as Ron Artest, filed a legal action in Manhattan Family Court in support of educational expenses for their gifted 13-year-old son.

In the filing, Jennifer Palma addresses the following:

  • Mr. Peace verbally agreed to pay for the high school education of his son. His son currently attends Poly Prep Country Day School in Brooklyn.
  • The first payment for the coming school year was due in March of this year. To cover future high school tuition payments, Ms. Palma requests immediate payment of $140,000 into an escrow account.
  • For college tuition, Ms. Palma requests Mr. Peace be ordered to pay $250,000 and associated legal fees.

In New York, educational expenses are paid in addition to child support obligations. While the payment of tuition for private or public education may not seem necessary, New York law gives the court the authority to order a non-custodial parent to pay education expenses:

“Where the court determines, having regard for the circumstances of the  case and of the respective parties and in the best interests of the child, and as justice requires, that the present or future provision  of post-secondary, private, special, or enriched education for the child is appropriate, the court may award educational expenses.”

In making a ruling, the court takes into account facts of the case, the parties and the best interests of the children at issue. New York expects both parents to provide for their children. It remains to be seen if that includes private education for Jeron Artest.

If you have questions concerning child or educational support in Long Island, call me at Bryan L. Salamone and Associates, P.C.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *