Consider Mediation as a Divorce Strategy
If you and your spouse have come to a mutual decision to seek a divorce and feel that you will at least be on speaking terms throughout the process, you might consider going through divorce mediation. In this process, you will meet with a neutral third party to discuss how you will resolve some of the issues in your divorce without having to spend as much time going through courtroom litigation.
Mediation may be the right option for you if the following apply:
- You intend to stay on good terms with your spouse. This is especially important for couples that have children together and do not want to make things more difficult on them.
- Neither spouse blames the other for the divorce. While there are some natural instances in which you might blame your ex-spouse for the unraveling of your marriage, mediation can be a good option if neither party believes the other to be completely at fault.
- You want more control over your divorce terms. Messy divorces that go through litigation tend to end in divorce terms that may or may not benefit you. Both sides have more to gain through mediation because they have more control over what happens. It is easier to find compromises that actually work through mediation.
- There is no history of abuse. If there has been physical violence or substance abuse in your relationship, you will absolutely want to go through the court system. Otherwise, if you feel safe and are not intimidated by the prospect of meeting face-to-face with your spouse, the mediation process can be healthy and helpful.
- You are comfortable with the financial aspect of divorce. You might need to have some level of knowledge about how finances will be handled in the divorce process to be completely comfortable with mediation. If you are confident in your knowledge in this area, mediation could be right for you.
Speak with a knowledgeable Long Island family law attorney at Bryan L. Salamone & Associates for more information on if divorce mediation is truly the best option for you.