Factors Considered When Moving Children Out of State After Divorce

Co-parenting children after a divorce is difficult enough when both parents live within a reasonable distance from each other. If one parent decides to move out of state after a divorce, the challenges become even greater.

In most cases, parents are required under state law to get permission from a judge and/or the other parent before moving a child out of state. Even moves within the state may require permission if they will be far enough away to necessitate changes to a parenting plan previously established. To that end, unless you get permission from the other parent, you may need to file an official motion in court to approve your move.

There are several factors courts consider when deciding whether or not to approve the move. The most important is the parenting arrangement you currently have in place. The following are the common scenarios:

  • No existing custody order: In this situation, parents who live with their children are generally able to take children on vacations without having to get court permission. However, a parent who takes a child out of state without permission from the other parent could potentially lose his/her rights once custody arrangements are created. Exceptions exist if the parent was taking their children to protect them from an abusive situation.
  • Primary or sole physical custody: Parents who have primary or sole physical custody are required to demonstrate that a move is being done in “good faith,” and not with the purpose of interfering with the other parent’s visitation. Common examples include a job change, a spouse’s job change, a move to be closer to relatives or a move to take care of an ill parent. The moving parent must also prove the child will have plenty of educational and recreational opportunities in the new place, improving his or her quality of life.
  • Joint custody: This is the most difficult situation for obtaining approval to move children out of state. A judge will hold a hearing to determine what is in the best interests of the child, and ultimately appoint one parent as the primary custodian. The child will then live with that parent, whether it’s the parent staying or the parent leaving.

For more information and guidance on moving children out of state after a divorce, contact a skilled Nassau County family law attorney at Bryan L. Salamone & Associates.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *