Protecting Your Children in a Divorce
A divorce can be a traumatic experience for everyone involved, but especially for kids. If you have children and are in the process of going through a divorce, you should consider the following tips.
Listed below are some tips to help you protect your kids from your divorce and ensure your children’s well-being during divorce:
- Talk to them. It is important to talk to your kids about the divorce. Let them know what’s going on, and make sure they know it is not their fault and that they are not going to lose their parents.
- Keep the divorce private. Don’t post public messages on social media outlets, talk loudly on the phone to your lawyer or friends, or leave adversarial papers around your house for the kids to see. Children are naturally curious, so while you don’t need to lie or sneak around, be careful about what you expose them to.
- Don’t bring the kids into it. Sadly, many parents feel the need to appeal to their children to back them up in arguments or act as a spy on the other parent. This is one of the most unfair things you can do to your child.
- Don’t let it get in the way of parenting. Nothing should cause you to neglect your role as a parent. During a divorce, your kids need you more than ever. Continue to be communicative and affectionate with them.
- Keep yourself healthy. The stress of a divorce can take a toll on your mental and physical well-being. You cannot take care of your kids without first taking care of yourself. Try to exercise more and eat healthy during your divorce.
Hiring a New York divorce attorney can help you save time and energy that can be better used taking care of your kids. Contact a lawyer today for a consultation.