Questions to Ask Before Selecting a Divorce Lawyer
As you go through the process of searching for a divorce attorney, you should spend some time actually talking to and interviewing potential attorneys after you’ve performed some general background research.
Here are a few questions you can ask potential attorneys to determine if they’ll be a good fit.
- Experience and specialties: Ask the attorney if they specialize in divorce law, or if divorce is just one of several practice areas they focus on. You should also ask how long they’ve been practicing family law, what certifications they have and how much experience they have in that particular type of law.
- Expectations: What does your attorney believe to be the best strategy to take with your case, and how long do they expect it to take? You should also get some expectations or estimates with regard to cost.
- Billing: You’ll want to ask about how the attorney bills. What is their hourly rate? What are the fees they charge? Are there any up-front retainers you need to worry about? Are you able to put together a payment plan?
- Expected costs: What costs beyond standard legal fees does your attorney expect to be involved in the case? This could include fees for private investigators, physicians, expert witnesses, forensic accountants and more.
- Processes: Will the attorney allow you to negotiate with your spouse directly? What actions will they take to help keep costs down?
These are just a few examples of some of the most important questions to ask an attorney before working with them. For more information, contact an experienced Long Island divorce lawyer at Bryan L. Salamone & Associates.