Young and Foolish: Tips for Recovering from a Divorce in Your 20s
It’s easy to get down on yourself if you are going through a divorce while still in your 20s. With so many other friends getting engaged and planning their own weddings, you may feel like you’re heading in the opposite direction. You might also feel that family members and friends are judging you because your marriage is ending.
However difficult it may be, you can move on from the divorce like anyone else, as long as you have the right mindset. The following are a few tips to help you recover from the impact of a divorce at a young age:
- Never consider yourself a failure: Some marriages end. That does not make you a failure, even if it happened relatively quickly. You can chalk it up as a mistake of youth and a bit of naivety. There is plenty of time to move on and start your life anew.
- Make sure you learn from your mistakes: You need to be able to figure out exactly what led to your divorce and how you can avoid replicating the mistakes you made. Even after your relationship is over, you can focus on fixing whatever it was that contributed to the end of your marriage.
- Avoid rebounds: It’s going to be tempting to jump right back into dating and a new relationship, but it’s generally a good idea to stay single for a little while after your divorce. This will allow you to rediscover who you are and regain your independence, setting you up for greater success in future relationships.
- Keep it off social media: Young people have a tendency to overshare on social media as it is. The last thing you want is to rant about your divorce or your former spouse on social media, especially if the divorce proceedings are still underway.
- Keep family and friends close: You have plenty of family members and friends who are going to be more than happy to support you. Take comfort in them and lean on them when you’re feeling particularly vulnerable.
For the sound legal advice you need when dissolving your marriage, consult a dedicated divorce attorney with Bryan L. Salamone & Associates.