What to Do if You Discover Your Spouse is Cheating
It can be devastating to discover a partner is engaged in infidelity, and difficult to determine how to proceed after that discovery. Many people will choose to divorce a spouse who has been cheating on them. If this is the route you decide to take, it is important you proceed with care so you can get your case started as smoothly as possible.
With this in mind, here are some steps to take after your discover your spouse is cheating:
- Consider your situation: Where and how did you find out? Do you need to stay somewhere else? Take care of yourself before you begin planning your case. If you feel uncomfortable being under the same roof as your partner, take the necessary steps to remove yourself from the situation so you can feel sale.
- Don’t make any rash decisions: It’s a good general rule to give yourself at least 24 hours before you make any big decisions about how you will proceed. This will allow you to determine whether or not divorce is the best course of action, and to then proceed with a more level head.
- Avoid social media: Never, ever react to your discovery online, or post anything about your partner’s wrongdoing, or vent about how much you despise them for it. In fact, deactivating social media accounts, at least temporarily, may be the best course of action if you decide to file for divorce, so you don’t accidentally post or share anything that could affect your case.
- Avoid vengeance: Trying to get revenge on your partner will also only hurt you in any ensuing divorce battle, and will likely make the case even more contentious. The last thing you want is to inadvertently make your divorce even rougher than it has to be.
- Seek legal counsel: If you decide to proceed with a divorce, work with an attorney with experience in divorce law who can guide you through your next steps and ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible.
To get the guidance and advice you need when dissolving your marriage, contact a dedicated divorce lawyer with Bryan L. Salamone & Associates.