How Can I Enforce a Child Custody Agreement?

If you have trouble enforcing a child custody agreement, you must seek legal assistance as soon as possible. A team of knowledgeable and experienced attorneys can help you initiate the legal proceedings needed to enforce a child custody agreement.

The first action the court takes if a parent violates a child custody agreement is to hold the noncustodial parent in contempt of court. Contempt of court is a civil penalty that imprisons the noncustodial parent until he or she agrees to comply with the child custody agreement.

If your spouse still refuses to comply with a child custody agreement, your legal team can use the following remedies:

  • Habeas corpus
  • Punitive modification
  • Modification of child support and maintenance
  • Posting of a bond
  • Money damages
  • Injunctive relief
  • Discretionary powers

In some cases, a parent may face criminal charges if he or she takes a child away from a custodial parent. To find out if you have a criminal case against your spouse, contact your attorney as soon as possible.

Before initiating any of the above-mentioned remedies, you must notify your spouse of the action you intend to take. Additionally, your spouse is entitled to a full hearing. During a hearing, with the help of a forceful attorney, you may question your spouse about why he or she refuses to comply with the custody agreement.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *