What to Expect in a Divorce
Long Island law firm exclusively handles divorce and family law
The law firm of Bryan L. Salamone & Associates, P.C. is entirely devoted to divorce and family law. With thousands of divorce cases handled, the firm's attorneys can tell you what to expect when you begin the process. As a client, you can expect:
- Aggressive representation
- Personal attention
- Free consultations
- Very reasonable rates — for select cases, retainers as low as $2,000 and hourly rates as low as 5
What to expect in a divorce
No two divorces are alike. Each involves issues unique to the specific client. However, most divorces go through the same phases:
- One spouse decides to proceed with divorce and files a lawsuit for divorce, or for legal separation. The other spouse files a response.
- Temporary agreements or, often, court orders are obtained to stabilize the situation. These agreements or orders can cover temporary support, establish who pays bills during the separation, establish temporary custody, and prevent assets from being spent or moved.
- The next phase involves establishing what assets and debts exist and whether they are individual or community. During this discovery phase, each spouse discloses his/her finances and property, as well as all financial obligations or debts. This process can be complex when it involves valuing businesses, retirement accounts, stocks, securities, or hidden assets.
- Then, negotiation begins. Negotiation can take place through written exchanges between the attorneys or in a face-to-face conference. All issues, including child custody, support, visitation, spousal support (alimony), and asset division are negotiated.
- If a settlement cannot be reached, unresolved issues must be presented at trial before a judge.
- A trial is not always the final phase. If a client disagrees with a Judge's findings, they can be appealed. Likewise, if a family's situation or needs change, a modification in the Court's Order may be necessary.
The length of the divorce process can vary greatly depending on the complexity and contentiousness of the case. We strive to resolve divorce cases as quickly and economically as possible. For additional information about the divorce process, please see our Frequently Asked Questions.
Hire winning lawyers. Don't wait. Call us now.
We are well-known for aggressive representation of clients in the toughest divorce and family law cases. Contact Bryan L. Salamone & Associates, P.C. online for a free initial consultation with our skilled divorce attorneys. If your case is urgent, do not e-mail. Call us immediately.
Call Now for a Free Consultation!
1.631.479.3839 or 516.939.4458
Located off Rt. 110 between Exit 49N of the LIE and Exit 40S of the Northern Parkway