5 Tips for Selecting Your Divorce Lawyer
When you are about to get divorced, you’ll want to ensure that you have an attorney who is looking out for your best interests. Divorce can be a complicated and stressful time for any family, but the following five tips will help you find the right legal professional for your case:
- Look for experience. If you are about to get divorced, you don’t want to waste your time and money with a lawyer who isn’t deeply familiar with divorce and family law. Do your research to ensure that your lawyer specializes in divorce law — and has done so for a significant period of time. Look into the firm’s track record to learn about their published successes and any groundbreaking work.
- Ask about cost. A quality lawyer will be upfront with you about their hourly and situational fees, as well as circumstances that may require additional charges.
- Choose the right location. It may be helpful to select a lawyer who is relatively close to your home for several reasons. Firstly, an attorney in your area will likely be familiar with local judges, other regional firms that may represent your spouse, and issues specific to your county. Finally, as you work with your lawyer throughout your divorce, it can be convenient to have their office close by for in-person meetings.
- Conduct interviews. Take the time to meet with potential lawyers before deciding who will represent you. Explain your situation to each lawyer you meet, and ask questions you may have about their availability, how you should prepare for divorce proceedings and any unique offerings or experience the firm can provide.
- Go where you feel comfortable. You will need to interact with and divulge personal information to your attorney throughout the duration of your divorce. Select a lawyer that you feel comfortable engaging with and trusting with the details of your marriage.
To learn more about your options when considering a divorce, meet with a Long Island family law attorney at Bryan L. Salamone & Associates, P.C.