Be On Guard for the Health Risks Associated With Divorce
Divorce is an extremely stressful process, and any time you go through such a stressful experience it can take a toll on your body and mind. Therefore, it’s important you are aware of the health risks (physical and mental) associated with divorce so you can take appropriate action if you start to notice their symptoms.
- Weight changes: It is very common for people to experience significant weight swings after going through a divorce. Men are much more likely to experience drastic weight gains of 20 pounds or more.
- Risky behavior: Risky behaviors such as drug or alcohol abuse can occur among people who go through a divorce. Men are at much higher risk of these behaviors.
- Cardiovascular disease: Women are at a higher risk for health disease after divorce because they are more likely to experience the emotional toll and higher stress levels, according to studies.
- Insomnia: All people are at risk of insomnia after a divorce. Beyond trouble sleeping, this can lead to various other physical and mental health issues.
- Anxiety: All people have an elevated risk of anxiety after divorce, and these issues can continue even if you remarry. People with more severe anxiety are also more likely to have blood pressure problems.
- Depression: Divorced people are more likely to experience depression. One study indicates divorced men are 10 times more likely to seek mental healthcare than married men.
These are just a few examples of some of the most common physical and mental health risks associated with divorce. Contact an experienced divorce lawyer in Long Island for more information.