Ways to Protect Yourself During a New York Divorce
Sometimes a divorce is the only option. But don’t rush into it without doing a few things to protect yourself. If you are still communicating with your spouse, it may be smart to discuss a mediated divorce. If not, keeping the following in mind can help:
- Speak with an attorney. Many divorce attorneys offer free consultations. This is your time to meet with various attorneys not only to decide which lawyer to hire, but to get a better idea out of what you can expect in your divorce.
- If you have children, don’t move out. Moving out could ruin your chance of gaining custody in the future.
- Do not sign anything that you’re unsure of. Even informal written agreements can come back to haunt you in court. Always speak with your lawyer before signing anything.
- Cancel joint credit cards. Be sure to tell your spouse you are canceling a credit card, but also protect yourself against any ludicrous charges that might be made after the separation.
- Secure records. It is a good idea to secure and make copies of your financial records, including tax returns, credit card statements, loan applications and pay stubs. Also, protect important personal records such as Social Security cards and birth certificates.
- Make a budget. Divorces aren’t always easy on your wallet. Consider making a budget to help you keep your finances under control during the proceedings.
Having a divorce attorney on your side can help you get through the divorce process most easily. Contact a divorce attorney today for a consultation.